Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Exercise II - Visual Motor Integration

According to the user manual, Visual Motor Integration "is the ability to integrate a visual target with an accurate hand movement". It is a very important skill for a sight-reader to have.
The way this exercise is designed needs no adaptation for us musicians.
The "player" has to accurately hit moving balls with a bat which is controlled by the mouse.
The variables are:
- Ball speed: there are 6 different speeds according to the level you are.
- Bat size: there are 4 different sizes.
- Distractions: the distractions include moving objects sometimes on the upper part of the screen and sometimes on the lower part of it, still objects and moving walls.

I find it interesting that moving objects are easier to deal with because I can trace the angles ahead and the direction of the balls are more predictable. The still objects many times make the balls wiggle and the outcome is always a surprise.

The goal, in order to advance to a higher level, is to hit the ball 30 per "game".

So far, this exercise along with the visual concentration program (I will explain it later), have my best scores. In 50 sections (2 games per section) I have missed only one ball.

However good I am, I take Exercise II very seriously because a musician can always improve his or hers eye-hand coordination.
This exercise also works the parafoveal vision because many times, you have to "see" several things at once.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you! 100%

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you give suggestions of repertoire for students to practice sight reading?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exercise II
    On level 24 of this exercise, I had to deal with 4 still distractions , two moving distractions, a moving wall and the smallest bat ever. The ball was not too fast but despite the 30 degrees outside, I was sweating!
    I manage to get 100%. I am proud of my visual motor integration! (it shouldn't be surprising for a pianist or else, I would really be in trouble :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am now on level 25. I will probably graduate from it before the 150 trials.
    The ball is on speed 6 now. It is quite insane!
    The bat is small and I am starting to worry... It is very hard to do this without a mouse. I have been doing it on my laptop and my finger is not as precise as a mouse would be.
    I hope this is over soon.

    ReplyDelete